Balsam Lake Dry Stone Wall

Balsam Lake Drive
Coboconk

Stretching for over a kilometre along both sides of Balsam Lake Drive is a fantastic example of a Scottish dry stone wall still intact today. In the 1870's, George Laidlaw (who owned 4000 acres on the shores of Balsam Lake) brought over stone masons from Scotland to construct the walls to fence in his Highland cattle and sheep and define the borders of his property. The raw material was all there: mostly limestone that could be moved about with horse-drawn stone boats, but also blocks of granite left by the receding of glaciers.

Main Category: 

Connected logoKawartha LakesOntario Chamber of Commerce